“Little Bo Peep has lost her sheep,
And doesn’t know where to find them…”
Oh dear, she’ll have to have a veggie shepherd’s pie tonight!
Bo Peep’s Pie (and one of her sheep!)
This is winter store cupboard food at its best. Healthy and tasty ingredients make this a hearty and filling dish that is easy to make and vegan!
Bo Peep’s Pie
vegetable oil for frying
3 cloves of garlic
2 tbsps tomato puree
½ tsp ground coriander
¾ cup red lentils
2 carrots, diced
500ml vegetable stock
1 cup of frozen peas
Salt and pepper
50-100ml red wine or sherry
2 tsps mixed herbs
Fry the onion and garlic in oil until soft. Add tomato puree, coriander, lentils, carrots, peas, sherry and stock. Simmer gently, covered, for about 20 mins. Check occasionally as you may need a little more liquid. Preheat oven to 200°C.
When the lentils and vegetables are cooked through, season with salt, pepper and herbs. Place in a casserole and top with the mashed potato. Bake for about 15-20 mins until brown and crispy.
By the way, here’s the complete nursery rhyme!
- Little Bo-Peep has lost her sheep,
- And doesn’t know where to find them;
- Leave them alone, And they’ll come home,
- Wagging their tails behind them.
- Little Bo-peep fell fast asleep,
- And dreamt she heard them bleating;
- But when she awoke, she found it a joke,
- For they were still a-fleeting.
- Then up she took her little crook,
- Determined for to find them;
- She found them indeed, but it made her heart bleed,
- For they’d left their tails behind them.
- It happened one day, as Bo-peep did stray
- Into a meadow hard by,
- There she espied their tails side by side,
- All hung on a tree to dry.
- She heaved a sigh and wiped her eye,
- And over the hillocks went rambling,
- And tried what she could, as a shepherdess should,
- To tack each again to its lambkin.