Strawberry season is just about here…
… and the first German strawberries are in the shops. It feels very much like summer already!
I posted my recipe for Strawberry Flan here a couple of years ago. This is exactly the same recipe, just using kiwis and blueberries in addition to make a flower pattern.
- 3 free-range eggs
- 75g (2/5 cup) caster sugar (use part vanilla sugar if you like)
- 75g (3/5 cup) self-raising flour
- butter/flour for greasing pan
- a punnet of strawberries, two kiwis and a few blueberries
- 1 packet Dr Oetker “Tortenguss”/Clear Glaze/Arrowroot, with 1 tbsp sugar, 50ml (3 tbsps) elderflower cordial and 200ml(7 fl oz) water (follow packet instructions for the quantiies of liquid)
Preheat oven to 200°C/400F and grease and flour a flan tin.
With an electric mixer, beat eggs and sugar in a large bowl until pale and fluffy. Fold in sieved flour carefully. Pour mixture into pan and bake for 7-10 mins until lightly golden and springy to touch. Remove cake from oven and cool for a few minutes. Turn onto a rack to cool completely.
Place cake on your cake platter.
Slice the strawberries and kiwis and spread over the flan as in the picture if you wish to create a flower pattern. Add the blueberries to the middle. Prepare the glaze according to the instructions of your packet glaze. Quickly spread over the fruit and allow to set.
A healthy dessert, but it does also taste very good with whipped cream!