The title of this post refers to the compliment I received from friends who are not vegan, when I served up our homemade vegan basil pesto for dinner recently. I was chuffed, and my Man of Many Talents thought it was time I shared my secret recipe. So here it is!
Vegan Basil Pesto
For 4-6 servings:
- 3 cups/45 g fresh basil leaves (homegrown is best! 😉 )
- 90 g pine nuts (they are expensive, but splash out on the best quality you can find)
- 15 g cashews
- 4 level tbsps nutritious yeast (essential for texture and the slight ‘cheesy’ flavour)
- 2-3 cloves of garlic (fresh if possible)
- 3 sun-dried tomatoes (the sort that come in a jar, marinated in oil), roughly chopped
- 1 – 2 tbsps of the sun-dried tomato oil
- 100 ml of mild olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Mix all the ingredients in a mixer until chunky. If the mixture is too thick you can either add a drop more oil or – if it is being eaten the same day – a splash of water to thin it slightly.
Serve over hot pasta and let all that sunshiny flavour tickle your tastebuds! Very good with a tomato salad and a cold drink. 🙂
Do you love basil too? What sorts do you grow and what do you use it for?